Friday, September 25, 2009

What do you believe?





As I read the story at the beginning of Luke of the pronouncements of Christ’s conception and that of John the Baptist something came off the page—don’t you love it when God does that?

In Luke 1:6 it refers to Zachariah and Elizabeth, the parents of John the Baptist, as

“……righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances, of the Lord, blameless.”

WHOA! What a description! I cannot imagine someone so dedicated to doing all that God has commanded, and obviously being soooo good at it; blameless! Are you kidding me!?!?
But wait! On over in Luke when the story tells how the angel of the Lord appeared to Zachariah while he was performing his priestly duties, the angel struck him dumb and unable to speak---WHY?

“because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.”

Obviously, Zach was following all the rules, doing the stuff, and he and Liz where thought well of because of their perfect behavior and lifestyle.

This strikes me because even though they followed the law, and fulfilled the commandments they still didn’t believe the word of the Lord when it came to them; they didn’t believe that:

“with God nothing shall be impossible.” (Luke 1:37)

And Liz, even at 6 months into her pregnancy, when Mary arrived for a visit, and the baby leapt within her at the joy of the voice of his savior’s birth, questioned her part in all of this.

“But why is this granted to me, the mother of my Lord should come to me?”

Following the rules, fulfilling all the orders and directions doesn’t enable you to “believe” when the time comes for you to. Even those of faith and following all the rules don’t necessarily see and believe. They may even go so far as to question God in the midst of their own miracle.

Abraham “believed God.......”; he believed God.
Believe!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a powerful post! I love your insight and revelation on this. I just read that portion this morning and was struck by Zachariah's lack of belief, but I didn't connect the whole thing the way you did!

    Thanks for sharing this! I loved it -- and needed it!

    ReplyDelete