Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Trip part 2.........the delivery

My trip to Washington held wonderful times, the first being the visit to Leonard in his wonderful setting practically within a stone’s throw of Puget Sound.


When I left his house on Sat. and flew to Kenniwick, the culmination of many months of work was about to come to a wonderful conclusion.

I am the kind of person that when life seems to be spinning out of control, I usually grap for the first thing to hang onto that will give me some semblance of order back. When my sister-in-law died suddenly 21 years ago and I watched helplessly as my brother in law began life as a single father with three small children. To stay that feeling of helplessness, and sorrow, I tackled the entry way in our old school house home, texturing the walls, painting, and staining them (I was way ahead on faux finishes), all in the hopes that the uncontrolled feeling of life being altered in such a radical way would be brought under some form of control.

I’m sorry to say, I haven’t changed much in that regard in all these years. When Mother died two years ago, after three and a half years of almost daily care, I was lost. We got Miss Lily, and she has been a buddy, but I needed something productive to do, I needed to feel like I was "doing something".

My sister Alane and her husband had made Roger and I a generous gift upon Mothers passing as a thank you for the time I had spent in those years of care giving; it was greatly appreciated, and a wonderful surprise. One day while in a thrift store, I found a north woods embroidery pattern. I immediately thought of Alane and Steve’s wonderful cabin in the woods in NE Washington. I would buy the pattern and make them something as a thank you. I did buy the pattern and began the project that was the catharsis to my healing process.

As the work progressed I knew there wasn’t any way that I was going to be mailing this gift to my sister and her husband—no it had to be hand delivered and while in WA I had the joy of seeing their faces when they opened the package.







After tears and hugs, (yes we had a group hug), it was studied and gently folded and will cover them with our love every time they are at the cabin curled up in front of the fire.


My travels were purposeful, and I came home feeling healed and rested. The best kind of trip to take.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Andrea! What a great way to connect, remember, heal, and help.

    ReplyDelete