Sunday, July 21, 2013

When God Sends You a Gift



It is July in Kansas, and for anyone who is familiar with that it means it is hot and humid, and yet no lasting rains if any at all.  

We have suffered with a drought in this part of the country for the past few years. Things are somewhat better this year, but we are still way under the needed rainfall.  It has been a long time since we have had a series of rainy drizzly days in a row, where everything received a good soaking. Anytime anyone talks about praying for anything, rain is always one of the first things mentioned; we are dry. 

So the other night when Roger and I were watching a movie where one of the characters had the wall in her cubicle covered with post cards from countries and places where she wanted to go I said out loud, “You know where I want to go?”  Without waiting for a response from Roger, I continued, “Somewhere where it is raining.” 

Rogers’s response was a reminder of a couple of years ago when he and Audrey and I took a trip to Wisconsin. It was after the tourist season, toward the end of Sept. but the entire time we were there, it rained. The first day we stayed in our cabin, while it rained a steady rain All. Day. Long.  We took naps, put a puzzle together and watched old movies on tv.  The rest of the time, it rained just about everywhere we went. Many people would have considered their vacations ruined by such weather, but we thought it was wonderful, and we didn’t complain. Audrey is from the desert and we were in the midst of a drought. We loved the rain, the sound of it, the smell of it, and the feel of it on our faces.  So my comment immediately brought that time to mind for both Roger and I. 

We sat and continued to watch our movie, and after just a few minutes we noticed a sound at the window. I looked at Roger and asked, “What is that noise?” He muted the TV and we listened. He smiled and said, “It’s raining.” 

We both got up and opened the door. Off to the west it was clear as a bell, blue sky and the setting sun, but over our house it was pouring rain. That’s right, pouring! It was even thundering! I stepped out into it. I felt it on my face, I could smell it, and I could hear it and see it. I looked up and laughed right out loud and thanked God for the rain…without me having to leave home. 

Roger commented that I was going to get wet, and I smiled at him and stepped out further as I said, “Sure, but when God sends you a gift, you HAVE to open it!” 

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom can be no variation, neither shadow that is cast by turning.”  James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment