Thursday, April 25, 2013

Learning to Appreciate



“I believe it’s shingles.”

“What?” I replied, with what I’m sure was a ‘you’re off your rocker, lady’, look on my face.

“You do know what shingles are,”  Her eye’s getting larger, “don’t you?”

“Yes, I know what shingles are.” I replied

 I wanted to tell her, “sure I know what shingles are, my husband is a builder, you put them on the roofs of houses, you DON’T get them on your body!!”

“Well I’ll write you some prescriptions, and ……………….”

I looked at her and raised my voice just a tad interrupting…  “Are you SURE it’s shingles? Not just a bug bite or a rash or something!?”

She stopped talking, cleared her throat, and smiled, “I’m sure that is what it is.” All the while thinking, ‘yep, this gal knows more about denial than the fact it is a river in Africa.’

As she continued on about prescriptions, and treatment, and duration, and symptoms, I can’t imagine the expression on my face. She was kind, spoke slowly and made sure that I knew what I had ahead of me.

Thanks for the heads up…..

So as I gingerly sit here at home, experiencing pain that is right up there close to 10 on that scale they always ask you about, I’m trying to keep my sense of humor about the location and limitations this has brought into my life. 

The down side, (no pun intended), I can’t sit in a chair for very long, I am most comfortable lying in bed, and the whole thing is just the pits.

The up side, I get to lie around A LOT, (UGH!!) and the pain pills make me sleep more than I think I have during my entire life; “catching up on sleep” has taken on a whole new meaning. I’m beginning to feel like Rip Van Winkle.

You know the saying…….. “We never appreciate good health until we don’t have it.”

I’m learning to be appreciative.   

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no!!! I hate this for you. And I totally wish I could make it go away. Which I can't. But I'll pray for a short duration and a quick recovery. And for peace.

    Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete