Friday, November 9, 2012

Jesus Our Living Water


The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.  Ps 19:19

If we are looking, we will find this to be true. 

As I was sitting at the table in the kitchen yesterday, I noticed that the large oak tree in our back yard had lost almost all its leaves; a sign to put out the bird feeders. Then just beyond it, I saw the smaller oak tree that some obliging squirrel planted a few years ago. The color contrast was apparent. The yellowish brown sparseness on the large tree was in stark contrast to the beautiful reds and russets of the smaller tree. Unfortunately, I didn’t rush and get my camera, as I should have, but I did make a mental note. 

Today as I looked again, the large tree is bare save a few leaves still clinging on.  Yet the smaller tree is still covered in leaves; another contrast. 

As I sat there looking at them, I wondered why the difference. Then I realized. ….Water. 

The large tree has suffered through the drought of the past couple of years. It is large enough that it is surviving, but the dryness of the earth, and lack of moisture is apparent in just about everything, including the big trees. 

The smaller tree sits squarely in the middle of a flower bed that received watering everyday this summer when the temperatures soared into the hundreds, day after day. 

Obviously water makes a huge different in the life of plants, and it is necessary to sustain life in humans as well. But the spiritual connotation is what I saw.  And the scripture from Ps 1:3 came to mind.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he does shall prosper.

By looking at the two trees, God gave me a picture of what the living water of His Spirit does in my life.
The large tree had already lost its leaves; the wind had stripped it bare. Yet the smaller tree was still full of leaves. I saw the strength gained by the water to withstand the chill, and the winds, just a little longer than others.  

The large trees leaves were a yellow, and dull brown not the brilliant red and russets of the smaller tree. 
 
Yes the small tree, because it had been watered, was beautiful, and stood out against the rest of the dried up and dying…. 

Yes, both trees will lose all their leaves, but I know that the smaller one will weather better through the harshness of this winter due to the water it has received. 

It served as a reminder to me to keep myself firmly planted by the ‘living water’ of Jesus Christ. For only in him will I remain strong, and able to stand against the world, all the while reflecting the beauty of the ‘living water’ within.

No comments:

Post a Comment