Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Feed the birds.............


This picture was on the front of a Christmas card we received this year from my cousin. I instantly fell in love with it, and saved it.
One of my winter activities is feeding the birds. I have several feeders, and last year Roger and I counted 8 pairs of red birds on the feeder at once; his comment was "if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it!"
One of my all time favorite songs is "Feed the Birds", from the Movie Mary Poppins. The stanza that stands out to me is:

"All around the cathedral
the saints and apostles
look down where she sells her wares.
Although you can't see them,
I know they are smiling,
each time someone shows that he cares."

I've always figured if God cares enough for the birds to know "when a sparrow falls to the earth", the least I can do is feed them. My bird feeders are up, and my oak tree is full of birds, every kind pictured here, and yes I think God is smiling to know that I am "feeding the birds".

2 comments:

  1. Of course he is!! Not only does it show you care, but it reminds you how he cares for you. What a beautiful post. I adore Mary Poppins. And Oh my gosh, that is the Anne of Green Gables music playing. You have the BEST taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I ever told you I envy your life? Yeah. I think I have. Anyway, I think it is totally cool you feed the birds. I think about it every year and never pull it off. And the Bird Lady has been one of my favorite characters since the first time I met her on screen.

    ReplyDelete