Monday, October 6, 2008

Friends of Difference

I have a dear friend who is an Obama supporter. She has read his books, and has made it perfectly clear that she will vote for him on November 4th. Our political leanings are similar in some areas, and worlds apart in others. Our reasons for voting the way we will are our own.
I want to say though, that it is because of her and her reading and knowledge of the political playing field that I have been compelled over the last several months to research the reasons for voting the way I will. She has always been good for me when it comes to pushing me to find out for myself what I think, how I interpret information, and how it will affect my choices. She is intelligent and what I consider to be a well read, voracious reader, thus I feel she has only my best interests at heart, when she spurs me on in this fashion.
But I must give her credit when I say she has not pressured me to vote for her choice. In fact, with this election year becoming so heated, and downright ugly, we have agreed NOT to discuss politics, and place our years of friendship and love for one another above it.
Ours is a story that has put us on the same side in educational warfare for the sake of our children and on opposite sides when it has come to decisions of life choices, and politics, but we have found like David and Jonathan (don’t ask me who is who), that our friendship runs unbelievably deep through all of these things.
The scripture in Proverbs 27:17 comes to mind when I sit and regard the relationship we have.
As iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
I have several friends that I have sound differences with. The fact that we can sit and discuss these differences and continue to love each other and be there for one another is what I cherish most about these relationships. Our priorities are straight. We have placed our relationships above philosophy, politics, and distance realizing that variety is the spice of life, rulers come and go, and telephones, and email are a gift. We realize we were all created differently for a reason, trusting God to reveal it to us as we go through life. Heartache and challenges only seem to bond us closer together, for age, as it comes, seems to remove the layers of trivial issues exposing the valuable instead.
Maybe it is because we are women, maybe it is because of our differing backgrounds that we have found and latched on to each other, hanging on more tightly as time has come and gone. Whatever it is, it is a precious gift, and like most precious gifts is not tangible, nor should it ever be taken for granted. I will always be thankful for my friends “of difference”.

1 comment:

  1. Your words touched me & made me cry because of how precious your are to me. May we always sharpen each others' countenances. You are my dearest friend.

    Love,
    Shiuvaun

    ReplyDelete