Friday, February 20, 2015

His Love Endures Forever.......

Sam and I have a little game we play which is geared to help him pay attention to Grandma when I want him to focus and do what I ask. He does not realize it is a game, but he grins, and gets it, eventually, and we both laugh when the objective has been reached.

When that moment in our day arrives for him to get his shoes and coat on, grab his backpack and head for the car. I find myself repeating what I want him to do over and over and over again.

Can I get a witness?

It goes something like this:
“Sam get your shoes on….Get your shoes on….get your shoes on…get your shoes on…...” In a little sing song voice, that he eventually recognizes, grins, and realizes that Grandma wants those shoes on, and nothing else is going to happen or be said UNTIL those shoes are on. By the time he is ready to walk out the door we are usually grinning and singing one of our little ditties.

In my devotions yesterday, I read Psalm 136. I have read this PS many, many times in my life. I have prayed it, I have recited it in church as a responsive reading. Let’s just say I’m familiar with it. But yesterday when I read it again, I saw something in it I had not seen before. 

 Psalm 136

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever.
to him who alone does great wonders,
His love endures forever.
who by his understanding made the heavens,
His love endures forever.
who spread out the earth upon the waters,
His love endures forever.
who made the great lights—
His love endures forever.
the sun to govern the day,
His love endures forever.
the moon and stars to govern the night;
His love endures forever.
10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt
His love endures forever.
11 and brought Israel out from among them
His love endures forever.
12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm;
His love endures forever.
13 to him who divided the Red Sea[a] asunder
His love endures forever.
14 and brought Israel through the midst of it,
His love endures forever.
15 but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea;
His love endures forever.
16 to him who led his people through the wilderness;
His love endures forever.
17 to him who struck down great kings,
His love endures forever.
18 and killed mighty kings—
His love endures forever.
19 Sihon king of the Amorites
His love endures forever.
20 and Og king of Bashan—
His love endures forever.
21 and gave their land as an inheritance,
His love endures forever.
22 an inheritance to his servant Israel.
His love endures forever.
23 He remembered us in our low estate
His love endures forever.
24 and freed us from our enemies.
His love endures forever.
25 He gives food to every creature.
His love endures forever.
26 Give thanks to the God of heaven.
His love endures forever.

You see it too? Don’t you?

“His Love Endures Forever”

I smiled as I heard the repetition in my voice as I read it.  And the little sing song that came. And I realized that God wants me to know something.

His Love Endures Forever! His Love Endures Forever! His Love Endures Forever! His Love Endures for Ever!

Of all the attributes of God listed, of all the things He has done for His people, and all the things He plans to do for His people,  I get the picture that God wants me to remember that His Love endures forever.  

These days there does not seem to be a lot of love in the world. So the reminder that God’s love endures forever is a comforting thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment