Sunday, May 4, 2014

“Son your sins are forgiven”


Mark 2:1-12 When He had come back to Capernaum several days afterward, it was heard that He was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room, not even near the door; and He was speaking the word to them.And they *came, bringing to Him a paralytic, carried by four men. Being unable to [a]get to Him because of the crowd, they removed the roof [b]above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying. And Jesus seeing their faith *said to the paralytic, "[c]Son, your sins are forgiven." But some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, "Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming; who can forgive sins [d]but God alone?" Immediately Jesus, aware [e]in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, *said to them, "Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven'; or to say, 'Get up, and pick up your pallet and walk'? 10 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"—He *said to the paralytic, 11 "I say to you, get up, pick up your pallet and go home." 12 And he got up and immediately picked up the pallet and went out in the sight of everyone, so that they were all amazed and were glorifying God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this."

I have read this passage of scripture many times in my life……..many times. I've even read the commentary that goes along with it, but for some reason I saw something that I had not seen before.

The commentary puts it this way:
"Jesus asked the "which is easier" question to demonstrate the truth of His claim to forgive the man's sins—something only God can accomplish. Anyone could assert the ability to forgive sins, since there was no earthly way of confirming the statement. But to say "arise, take up your bed and walk" to the paralytic could be tested immediately by whether he walked or not. By healing the paralytic, Jesus made His pronouncement of forgiveness far more credible."

As I sat and pondered this I was immediately reminded of early days in my walk with the Lord. I was in High School, and I remember when I went back to school the Monday following the weekend of the Lay Witness Mission, people could tell by just looking at me that something had changed within me, and they commented on it. However, as the days and weeks went on, they watched me to see if the changes that they observed and I testified to, would really last; was I really a different person? Had God really done a work in my heart or was this a flash in the pan sort of thing that would fade in time.

What does the power of God's forgiveness do in your heart and life?

After being told his sins were forgiven, the man got up and walked. That is quite a change. Life altering. Physical healing is something that we equate with miracles. But isn't a healing of a heart through the very forgiveness of our sins supposed to be just as life altering as a physical healing which brings about the ability to do things we have never been able to do before? It should change us, and alter us to the degree that our lives are completely changed. We should never be the same.

As the Easter season is still upon us, and we are entering the season of Pentecost where the church was altered forever, ask yourself, "How have I changed since my sins have been forgiven?"

No comments:

Post a Comment