Friday, November 25, 2011

Because He Loves You.......

I am thankful………….

Not really for anything specific…….there is just too many things to name.

But I am thankful.

I realize as I read the thankfulness lists of others, and then stop to think about being thankful too, the precipice of my thankfulness comes from a verse in Deuteronomy.

As Thanksgiving has been approaching, I have felt compelled (woke up in the middle of the night) to read the book of Deuteronomy. This is not a book that many people would consider light reading, but as I’ve read it in this season of thankfulness, I realized that as Moses took the people of Israel through their past, reminding them of all that God had brought them through, their own behavior and choices; their history. After he did that he gave them hope and promises for their future.

The Israelites had come along way, but they also had a long way to go. Moses wanted to remind them of the past to give them strength for the future. Thanksgiving does that for us. It reminds us of our past, our blessings, and gives and reminds us further that when we move forward into our futures, that our God who has brought us to this point, will abide with us still.

The summation of these blessings for the Israelites is spoken by Moses when he says:

The Lord did not set His love on you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples; but because the Lord loves you, and because He would keep the oath which He swore to your fathers…..Deut. 7:7-8

This is not the only place in Deuteronomy where Moses reminds the people that God loves them. So as I’ve read, I’ve been reminded over and over that the greatest thing I have to be thankful for is that God loves me. This isn't the first time I've read this passage and those words have come off the page, in fact I read it every once in awhile, just to remind myself that it is ..... For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph 2:8-9


Everything that I have or even don’t have I have because of God’s plan….and His plan for me is for no other reason than because He loves me.

So as I am Thankful, and come to the table today, I will give thanks and rejoice in God’s love for me through Jesus Christ my Savior!

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect. Thanks for the perspective, my friend.

    ReplyDelete