Sunday, October 20, 2013

30 Days to Glory



Gosh I felt important when the email arrived asking me, ME!, to read a review copy of the novel my friend Kathy Nickerson has written to be released this month AND write a review. 

Kathy and I met almost 40 years ago through our husbands who went to high school together; translation: God brought us together.

 Because of who Kathy is I knew it would be a faith based story. However, other than that I had absolutely no idea what to expect.  She has written for several well know Christian publications (they are mentioned in her bio), and is an excellent writer. But all that said, I’ve know people who were “good”, maybe even “great” writers who I would not read what they wrote. You have to keep my attention; you have to relate to me, you have to show me that you have the ability to
 Tell. A. Story.  

30 Days to Glory did all that. 

I have to admit, I don’t have much in common with homeless addicts, so I was afraid this was going to be a stretch for me to read about the life of such a person, even if it was fiction. I had more in common with the little 80 some year old widow woman. But as the story unfolded and I watched a thin thread of commonality weave itself through both of their lives, I was hooked. I laughed and I shed a few tears, but I loved every minute of it.

 “The story centers around Catherine Benson who longs to do one great thing before she dies and Elmer Grigsby who hopes to stay seriously drunk until he slips out of the world unnoticed. Against a Christmas backdrop, Catherine searches for purpose while fighting the infirmities of age and the best intentions of her children. She gains support in the battle from her faithful housekeeper and her quirky friends known as the Glory Circle Sisters. Elmer isn’t supported by anyone, except maybe his cat.” –Cross River Media

Without giving away the plot, I want you to know that this book IS for everyone. It is a little gritty at times depending on your idea of gritty, but it is also an encouraging story of faith and faithfulness. God shines through—You will love it! 

Kathy KNOWS how to tell a story. 

30 Days to Glory will be released on October 25th.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Andrea! So glad God and our men brought us together.

    ReplyDelete