Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Getting to the bottom of it............

March is almost over, and April is right around the corner and with it the anticipated birth of our first grandchild-a boy.

We are beginning to realize there is going to be a new member in our family activities. As I helped Missy unpack the boxes of washed baby clothes, with socks so tiny two of my fingers barely fit, I realized that the bassinet set up in the corner of the room was really going to have a tiny little boy tucked in there in just a few more weeks.

I can honestly say I’m getting excited and looking forward to getting to meet this, the newest member of our family.

So many questions run through my mind, not so much about what he will look like, but what he will be like. Will he have Nic’s sense of humor? Will he laugh easily like Missy? Will he be soft hearted like them both? Will he love animals? Will he like to be outdoors? These are the things I thought of as I put tiny little diapers in the dresser, and folded the receiving blankets. As I put a load of items in the washer to wash so they too could be added to the prepared items, I looked at all the little Oshkosh overalls, one in every size from birth to 2 years. I remember my Dad loved to wear overalls; so do I. Will he be comfortable in them too? Will he want to be in the shop with his Grandpa and Dad? Will he be skilled in woodworking, and carpentry, or will his mind run to numbers like his mothers? So many questions. As Tom Hanks tells his son in Sleepless in Seattle in regard to getting to know the woman he is dating at the time—“These are things I am willing to try to get to the bottom of.”

I’m not into crosswords, or really puzzles of any kind, but I can’t think of the last time I was this excited to be meeting someone for the first time; especially someone who isn’t going to even be able to talk to me! But the mystery of getting to know this new little person is going to be one puzzle I’m not going to mind “getting to the bottom of.”

3 comments:

  1. this is so sweet. you all will fall in love and it will be beautiful. :) so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You are so good with words Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know for sure is that this little guy is made of good stuff. He comes from great stock. And you are going to love every minute of getting to know him.

    ReplyDelete