Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Iron that Sharpens Me

There are people in this world who, after knowing them for awhile, you realize that God has placed them here for His reasons, and you just happen to reap the benefits of His plans by knowing them.
Shiuvaun is that person for me.
Our children share birthdays, her oldest, my youngest.
Jennifer holding Nic, celebrating thier birthdays together with Audrey and Sarah.

Our girls are a week apart in age.
Audrey and Sarah.....another birthday.

We have been in each other's lives for years, and shared so much.
In so many ways we are as different as day and night, yet in the subtle, underlying ways, we are so much alike, we have wondered if we aren’t really sisters in some fashion; Oh wait, yes we are…………in the Lord.
I have written about her before during the election when people were sooo virulent in their political stance.
We differed on that and I wrote about it, and how we solved it.

I want to say though, that it is because of her and her reading and knowledge of the political playing field that I have been compelled over the last several months to research the reasons for voting the way I will. She has always been good for me when it comes to pushing me to find out for myself what I think, how I interpret information, and how it will affect my choices. She is intelligent and what I consider to be a well read, voracious reader, thus I feel she has only my best interests at heart, when she spurs me on in this fashion.

Shiuvaun and I have been through some of our hardest days in the battle over the educational welfare of our children, and during that time of “lifting rocks and finding monsters”, we hung on to each other, and took the unconventional step at the same time in the decision to home school our children.

Ours is a story that has put us on the same side in educational warfare for the sake of our children and on opposite sides when it has come to decisions of life choices, and politics, but we have found like David and Jonathan (don’t ask me who is who), that our friendship runs unbelievably deep through all of these things.
The scripture in Proverbs 27:17 comes to mind when I sit and regard the relationship we have.

As iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

The fact that we can sit and discuss these differences and continue to love each other and be there for one another is what I cherish most about our relationship. Our priorities are straight. We have placed our relationships above philosophy, politics, and distance realizing that variety is the spice of life, rulers come and go, and telephones, and email are a gift. We realize we were all created differently for a reason, trusting God to reveal it to us as we go through life. Heartache and challenges only seem to bond us closer together, for age, as it comes, seems to remove the layers of trivial issues exposing the valuable instead.

Maybe it is because we are women, maybe it is because of our differing backgrounds that we have found and latched on to each other, hanging on more tightly as time has come and gone. Whatever it is, it is a precious gift, and like most precious gifts is not tangible, nor should it ever be taken for granted.


I remind you of all this to say that her blog is up and running. She will write, she will probably make you laugh and cry, as she shares the poignant stories growing up in South Dakota. She will compel you to think, and she may even rub you the wrong way, but she will NOT allow you to get lazy or stagnate in your thinking. As she said the other day when I visited her in KC, while referring to an issue they had been battling about with the city of Independence,
“I called them at least twice a week, sometimes every day, they didn’t realize who they were dealing with………………” Yep,that is sooooooooooooo Shiuvaun.
Read her………she’s in my sidebar.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Andrea, did I cry? Did I cry? I have never seen that first picture of all our children together, with Jennifer holding Nic--oh, my, how wonderful I know that there was a time when Jennifer was the only person who could babysit Nic when he cried so much, and how she was always willing to go & comfort him--I learned respect for my young daughter in how she cared for him.

    I love you, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete