Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Will it be for the better or for the worse.......

When Charles Shultz died, I was so sad to see something that I had literally grown up with come to an end. The Peanuts comic strip was part of my daily life, I had books of Peanuts cartoons as a kid that I would lay in bed at night and read, and laugh out loud so hard that my mom would have to holler upstairs and ask me what I was doing. The reruns that they decided to run after his death were wonderful, as some of them were old, (watch it!) and we hadn’t seen them in a long time.


Now Lynn Johnson from For Better or For Worse is going to try the new-run, not re-run, but new-run deal where she starts from the beginning of the comic strips 29 year history and starts over with the Patterson Family adding to the original strips.

Now I can tell you that I started reading FBorFW and getting hooked just about the time my kids were in grade school, Jr. High; the age of Michael and Elizabeth. I could relate to some of the issues the family went through. So as Elizabeth is getting married, Grandpa is dying and Mom and Dad are facing downsizing and the imminent empty nest syndrome when April leaves and goes to college, I am right there with them.

NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??????

Maybe she can start over with the story of the Patterson Family, but I can’t start over with mine—thus my dilemma.

For some reason I found comfort in reading the funny papers and finding my life in its pages. It helped me realize that perhaps I took things a little too seriously, and needed to lighten up, and learn to smile at situations more. It was also comforting to see captured in four squares the feeling in my heart when parents got sick and the reality hit that they weren’t going to get better or the beauty of having close friends to tell things to you wouldn’t tell another living soul, and the loss of a beloved pet like Farley.

It is just one more thing I am going to have to adjust to here at this point of my life, and when I read the news on YAHOO today, I have to admit I heard a gasp, and yes it came from me.

I know, there are much bigger issues, but let’s face it, sometimes reading the funny papers help us to face some of those larger issues. Keeping a perspective that is more on the light side than the dark. I like that. I need that.

So I will start checking for another comic I can read that will make me laugh, keep my perspective, and add a regular constant dimension to my days. In the mean time, I’ll look for you in the funny papers, heaven knows I found myself there often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment