Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Something else I do........


First of all, let me preface this blog by saying, “I LOVE MY HUSBAND”! However, there isn’t anything much more intimidating than the back of a concrete truck coming at you with that DING! DING! DING! sound that large trucks make when they back up as a safety precaution for backing up.

This is something else I do; I help my husband on the job site sometimes. Mind you, no one is more aware of the fact that I’m too short, too weak, and not very coordinated, therefore I consider myself much more of a liability on the job, than an asset.
Yet, when I remind him of this, his reply is usually something to the effect of “yea, but it is good just to have you there in case”. I guess unqualified help is better than no help.

So this is what I was seeing coming in my direction at 8:15 this morning, and I “ran the shoot”. That means I kept the shoot that comes out of the back of the truck, that the concrete flows down, in place so the concrete went in the hole where he wanted it to go. This means that I learned a whole new sign language for signaling the driver; and I didn’t get them mixed up---to much.

I will never be a "regular" on the job site, and I am so glad of that. I did see a new book out the other day about how to appreciate your mate-—go to work with them. Well, I’ve been there, done that, got the dirty T-shirt to prove it, and yes I do appreciate my mate, always have, and always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment