Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Television

I NEED to write today. I have been reading my favorite blogs, and something occurred to me that I had not realized.

I’m out of the loop. That’s right, the T.V. loop that is.

If you don’t watch television, and aren’t familiar with any of the programs that are on television, you are really at a loss as to how to participate in certain conversations. Plus, you have absolutely no idea what people are talking about when they refer to certain names on shows that have become household names, due to the popularity of the show.
We decided that over $60 a month for television was a little too much money when we seldom found anything on we wanted to watch, except movies that we had already seen or owned, and could therefore watch anytime we wanted.
I can check the weather on the computer (we chucked the T.V. for high speed internet—much better), read the news, and accomplish many other things on the internet without commercials, something we came to loath.
I don’t have to watch people who are searching for their fifteen minutes of fame make absolute fools of themselves while the producers of the show call it “reality T.V.”
We are reading some great books, and getting much more accomplished in the evenings. We are finding there is much more to talk about than we realized, and are actually talking about it.
This is not the first time we have been out of the loop-try homeschooling your kids-and are finding it as rewarding as we found that.
I’m not saying we will never have television again, but right now we aren’t missing it.
I will admit to one twinge however. I asked Audrey when the Westminster Dog Show was on, and she reminded me that we don’t have t.v. anymore and therefore I won’t be able to watch it so now, of course, I will have to check the results on the internet. instead. Not a problem!
It seems that something’s just aren’t worth putting up with other things for.
So for now we will tune out.

No comments:

Post a Comment